Thursday, August 20, 2009

Weekly Geeks - 2nd Chances

Better late than never - I almost missed this week's geek topic but back in time from vacation to just squeak in. Here's what's going on this week:

There have been times in my life where I reread a book (or author) I hated--or thought I hated--but the second time around ended up loving. Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever changed your mind about a book or author the second time around? Have you ever given a book or author a second chance?

If you have, I'd love to hear your stories. Blog about your experience(s) in giving second chances.

If you haven't, I'd like you to consider giving a book or an author a second chance. You can blog about your intentions to do so--or if you're a quick reader, maybe you can even squeeze something in!

Can't think of a single book or author? Don't worry, you can stretch this one to include movies or music if you prefer.

It is just very interesting to me how time can change tastes and perceptions. How subjective the reading experience is and always will be.


Coincidentally, I just gave an author a second chance this summer. I first tried Anita Shreve about 10 years ago. I wasn't yet married, I didn't yet have children, basically I was just out of university and starting out in life. My first go at an Anita Shreve novel was The Pilot's Wife. I liked it okay, but I didn't really get why it was getting so many rave reviews.

I picked up The Pilot's Wife again this summer. 10 years down the road, I'm now married, I have 2 kids, I've been in my career for a while now, I've travelled and lived on both sides of the country. Basically, I've gathered some life experience. I know I've grown up a lot too. I totally 'got' Anita Shreve this time. So much so that I've been on a bit of an Anita Shreve kick this summer. My favorite of hers so far is Testimony (which is her newest novel).

So why did I give her another try? Not an admirable explaination, but basically I was bored. I didn't have a novel on the go and this one was one sitting on my shelf that I didn't remember so much of that I knew I'd be bored reading it again. I'm glad it's a book I bought and held on to.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I have an on again off again relationship with Anita Shreve. I actually liked The Pilot's Wife quite a bit when I read it, so I went out and added a bunch of her novels to my TBR pile. Sea Glass was all right, but I didn't like it as much as The Pilot's Wife, and Light on Snow was all right but not even as interesting to me as Sea Glass. I've still got lots of her books on my shelf, so she'll get another chance for sure, but I hope things start looking up for our "relationship" soon. ;)