Thursday, August 13, 2009

Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult

I wanted and didn't want to read this book pretty equally. I wanted to because I love the way Picoult tells a story and this was one of the few books of hers I hadn't read yet. I didn't want to because of the subject matter. Child abuse and sexual preditors are not fun reading, particularly when the victim is a 5 year old boy and you have a 5 year old male child.
I did push past the ickiness of it and get into the book. What I found was a woman who is caught between a law system that often fails the child and a parent enraged that something like this would happen to her own son.
The story was well told and being a Picoult novel it did have some unexpected and unseen twists and turns along the way. If you can handle the subject matter, then pick this one up. It's worth the read.

4 comments:

Yvette Kelly said...

I know exacly what you mean by reading somethig terrible about a child when your child is the same age.I re read a book recently and it was so much more disturbing for me than before and I realised that when I read it before my boy child was 2 but now 2 years later and being 4 like the boy in the book it really was so much more disturbing.

Allison said...

I agree about the subject matter being difficult. I think Jodi Picoult tends to do that for the shock value of knowing her books will be emotional reads.

Sherilyn said...

Um...did you get the title wrong?

Kristen said...

Sherilyn - nope, that's the one...what one were you thinking of?