Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

I saw this book about a year ago and kept hoping that it would surface at my library. I'm now discovering that if I want to read a book by Picoult, I better request it because these books never get to sit on the shelves.
The premise is fascinating. A 13 year old girl who was conceived purely for the purpose of saving her sister's life (who was discovered to have a rare form of leukemia when she was a toddler), sues her parents for control over the medical decisions about her own body. I don't really want to say more than that and risk telling too much of the story. Picoult is an excellent writer. Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different character involved in the plot. The idea of doing that usually creates a muddle that is difficult to follow, but this book was a rare exception. I had no trouble going from person perspective to person perspective here. Excellently and sympathetically written, this one kept me up late until I could no longer keep my eyes open.

No comments: