Thursday, September 4, 2008

Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin

I know it's more chicklit and I don't care. I enjoy it. And contrary to some people's beliefs it's not just fluff. Sure it's not some big world issues topic, but the topic is relatable and very interesting. What would happen if you bumped into the ex-love of your life? Perhaps, the one you thought you would spend the rest of your life with before you met the one you are spending the rest of your life with.
The main character, Ellen, is a perfectly happy newlywed. She truly does love her life and her husband Andy. She loves the life that they are creating together. Then 100 days into her marriage she bumps into Leo, the one that got away. The great passion of her youth that she thought she had gotten over.
What I love about this premise is that Ellen is not someone who is living in a broken marriage looking for a way out. She honestly loves Andy, but running into Leo puts her in a tailspin. Emily Giffin demonstrates a lot of respect for marriage (which many authors today neglect). She also does a wonderful job of illustrating Ellen's point of view which may or may not be exactly what happened or happens, it's her perspective.
To me this is an interesting concept. Who hasn't googled and ex at one time or another? Even if it is a just checking up to see who has a better life? A kind of where are they now. I have to say that this is my favorite of Emily Giffin's books so far. I thoroughly enjoyed her first 3 and I'm glad I have more to look forward to in the future.

No comments: