Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner

I fully admit that I get ideas for what to read next off other people's reading lists. That's how I found Jennifer Weiner. A friend of mine had her listed in her iRead list on Facebook. She and I usually have similar reading taste, so I thought I'd check her out. This is the first of 2 of Jennifer Weiner's books I devoured this weekend. Yes I know I'm a book nerd, get over it! I have to admit that the title and the cover picture had me wondering on this one. I was really hoping that this was not a 'naughty' book (I know, I'm somewhat old-fashioned too). It's not BTW. Good in Bed refers to a magazine column that the main character's ex-boyfriend writes (and features her in). What I really, really liked about this book is that Cannie is not perfect looking. She is a plus-sized girl. This is the first book since Meg Cabot's 'Size 12 is not fat' et al, that I've seen that in. Most of the characters I read about are fairly thin and beautiful. Cannie is written as someone that you can really relate to in a best-friend kind of way. If she were real, she and I would probably hang out. The other thing I really loved about this book is that it was completely the opposite of what I thought it was going to be. It wasn't just about this girl mooning over her relationship with her ex-boyfriend, there were so many twists and turns to the plot that I really didn't know what was going to happen next, or how this all would end. Very well written, very much worth reading. I visited Jennifer Weiner's website and learned that she just published a sequel to this one, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it, I'd love to see where Cannie is 12 years later.

No comments: