Sunday, September 28, 2008

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Ahh, the joy of discovering an author who has been around a while, you don't have to wait a year or two before reading a new offering. Certain Girls is Weiner's follow up to Good in Bed. Set 12 years later we see Cannie at 40 and her daughter, Joy at 12. The book flows seemlessly back and forth between Cannie and Joy's perspective. I don't know how she does it but she writes both Cannie and Joy flawlessly. Joy's chapters are exactly how a 12 year old girl thinks and feels and Cannie's life at 40 also very accurate. Something I'm also enjoying about Weiner's books is that much of it comes from a Jewish perspective. I'm not Jewish and I've known very few Jewish people in my life. The whole idea of a bat mitzvah is new to me, and very fascinating. I think that is something that the Jewish religion has very right, a right of passage for it's youth as they ease out of childhood. Once again, much enjoyed!

No comments: