Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Most Uncommon Degree of Popluarity by Kathleen Gilles Seidel

I almost passed this book by. Really? Did I need to read another book on teen cliques? Wait a minute, that isn't what this book is about. This book is about the mothers of the teen (or pre-teen) girls who are popular. It tells the story of how their own children's popularity and friendship dynamics affect the lives and friendships of the grown-up women. Now that is a new and fascinating twist, one I'd never thought about before.
The women in question have been friends since their children first started at their exclusive D.C. private school. Their lives revolve around their children, the school and the activities involving the carpool. It is when their daughters start middle school that things change. They discover that their girls are popular (something none of them ever was) and that popularity comes with a price.
I really enjoyed this one. I didn't want to put it down at the end of the day. I had hoped to discover that Seidel had written more books, but unfortunately, this gem is her only novel to date.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On the contrary, Seidel has written quite a few excellent other novels. Don't be put off by the fact that some of them are Harlequin Romances. I especially recommend "Till the Stars Fall," "After All These Years," and "Summer's End."