Sunday, November 15, 2009

Honor Thyself by Danielle Steel

Those who have been reading this blog for a while know that I have a love-hate relationship with Danielle Steel novels. I first started reading her books when I was 15 or 16. Some I like better than others. By know I know what I'm getting into when I pick up something new to me by her. Yes, her books are formulaic. I can almost guarantee some of the lines that her characters will use. Her characters will be beautiful and/or rich, but unusually unspoiled for their attributes. That's where my frustration with her writing comes in, I get the "oh please" moment as a reader. However, I do keep coming back to them because they are mindlessly entertaining. And isn't that the point sometimes, just to be entertained?
So this story centres on Carole Barber, an extremely popular actress who tragically ends up as a Jane Doe in a coma following an accident. You learn of Carole's life, loves and children as the events unfold through her accident and recovery. It is what it is, enjoyable entertainment.

No comments: