Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Village Bride of Beverly Hills by Kavita Daswani

So I really couldn't wait to open up the next offering my Daswani. The Village Bride of Beverly Hills looks at 24 year old bride, Priya, transplanted to Los Angeles from India after her arranged marriage to Sanjay, an Indian man who has lived most of his life in the U.S.A. Priya begins her marriage in the traditional Hindi way. She and her husband live in his parents home with them and his younger sister. Priya does everything that she can to please her new family, but often finds herself lost and fumbling. Daswani does a marvelous take as to how an immigrant would view life in the States.
Priya's life becomes further complicated when her mother-in-law insists that Priya find a job (as well as continue the house keeping and cooking). Priya finds a job at a Hollywood magazine, but becomes conflicted between the demands of her western job and her traditional home and upbringing.
I flew through this book, enjoying it immensely. I found the story interesting and worth sticking around for the ending. I look forward to my next read by Daswani.

No comments: