Monday, July 27, 2009

Salaam, Paris by Kavita Daswani

I'm a little sad tonight as I usually am when I've discovered a new to me authour I've enjoyed and realise that I've just read all of the books they have to offer. Okay, that isn't quite true in the sense that Daswani has one YA book out I can look at, but I've finished her adult fiction (I hope she writes some more soon). I've really been enjoying this blend of chick lit and India.
Salaam, Paris is slightly different than the other 2 of Daswani's books I've read in that there is a hint of sadness behind the story. Like the main characters of her other books, this main character, Tanaya, is an Indian girl struggling to find her own identity. Unlike the other main characters who were Hindi, Tanaya is Muslim. Tanaya's story brings a huge clash of cultures when she falls into modelling (a big no-no in Muslim culture). You see the struggle she has between finding herself and yet not losing herself either. Very interesting read and much enjoyed by me.

No comments: