Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sea Glass by Anita Shreve

Sea Glass is a book that I probably would not have read had it not been for the author. Nothing about this book interested me. Not the cover picture, not the jacket description. But, because I'm reading through Shreve's books right now, I thought I'd give it a go. It turns out to be a case of don't judge a book by its cover because I'd place this in the top 3 of books I've read by Shreve. I think the book was so much more interesting than the description. What I thought would be a collection of intersecting vignettes of people who live in the same area turned into a real capturing of history relating to Mill Strikes in the late 1920's/early 1930's. The characters were interesting and likable. The story was fascinating. There's also a throwback to and earlier story of hers, Fortune's Rocks. I'd definitely recommend picking this one up.

No comments: