Tuesday, July 21, 2009

All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve

Anita Shreve continues to surprise me in her writing. This book was written in such a completely different way than the others of hers I read, yet I was completely captivated. The entire story is narrated in the first person of Nicholas Van Tassel. An English professor in the turn of century (1800's-1900's). The language is consistant both in time and in male voice. Prof. Van Tassel is recounting his first meeting with the woman he would claim for his wife, Etna Bliss and her realtionship with her. The narrative reminded me a lot of Jeremy Irons performance as Claus von Bulow in Reversal of Fortune. Not the stories are the same, just reminiscent to me. I have to admit that I had a difficult time putting this one down and could have read it in one sitting, had small children not prevented me from doing so.

No comments: