Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Vinyl Cafe, Unplugged by Stuart McLean

Stuart Mclean is a story teller, not a novelist. My mom introduced me to his work a few years back when she sent me this book. I was enchanted. The Vinyl Cafe stories can be heard on CBC radio. They are centred on a family of 4 living in Ontario. They are humourous and enjoyable. I do have one admission to make...I've never listened to Stuart Mclean. I've never heard his CBC show and I've never seen him live. I've only read his books.
As I do with most authours I enjoy, I read through Stuart Mclean's books all at once. I haven't read any since. The nice thing about these stories, is because they are short stories, I can pick them up and leave them, as I did this week in between books. These stories are honest and touching and above all funny. They draw on the lighter side of everyday life and living...very Canadian, very reccommended.

No comments: