Sunday, August 17, 2008

About Stephanie Plum

Discovering Stephanie Plum has been my summer project. I wanted something light, fun and unlike anything else I'd read before. In case you are not familiar with her. Stephanie Plum is the leading character of a series of mysteries authored by Janet Evanovich. Stephanie is a 30ish Jersey Girl who becomes a bounty hunter by despiration and does well at it purely by accident. The supporting cast is just as much fun. There's her grandmother whose favorite source of entertainment is attending the local funeral parlour viewings. Her sometimes sidekick, Lula an ex-hooker turned around, but still holding onto the attitude. And let's not forget the men in her life, Morelli, the bad-boy turned cop who she can't quite commit to, but can't live without and Ranger, her mentor who is, let's face it 'hot' (perhaps the reason Stephanie can't quite commit to Morelli).
I started the series at the end of June and have read through the 1st 13 plus the 2 'between the numbers' books. I anxiously await the 14th, which is the most recently published Plum book. If you haven't read these yet, do read them in order. Although most cases don't require having read them in order, the character development certainly does.
In my summer of Plum I've found a few online threads related to the series. The most intreguing to me are the discussions of if the Plum books were to be a movie...
I guess when the idea first came to make a movie out of these books, the ideal person to play Stephanie would have been Sandra Bullock. I totally agree, she would have been perfect, 10 years ago. I also understand that Reese Witherspoon has some rights and association with the film rights to the books, but I just can't see her as Stephanie. So who would I cast if the movie were to be made today? Here's my take:
Stephanie: Brittany Murphy
Morelli: Balthazaar Getty
Ranger: Mario Lopez
Lula: Mo'nique
Connie: Marissa Tomei
Vinnie: Steve Buscemi
Grandma: Cloris Leachman
Stephanie's Mom: Rita Wilson
Valerie: Judy Greer

No comments: