Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

I had great hopes for this book.  It was one of those books that "popped" out at me in the book store.  It seemed to be highly rated and reviewed so I was glad to read it.  It is set during the second world war and focuses on three women, Iris a small town postmistress, Emma a doctor's wife and Frankie a war correspondent.  It was not what I was expecting at all.  It just kept plodding along and plodding along.  There were many parts that I enjoyed and thought were really well done and interesting, but they left me kinda wishing that that was the story, not just part of the story (Will's delivering of Maggie's baby, Frankie's interviewing across Europe...).  It's one of those books where there's more going on than you see on the surface, but unfortunately in this book it translates to okay-ness as opposed to greatness.  I'd recommend this to some people, but it's not for everyone.

No comments: