Saturday, October 17, 2009

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of ghost stories. This one was a little different. This was not new-agey. This was not spooky. This was Sophie Kinsella. Humour and personality chemistry was all over this one.
My first impressions of the main character, Lara was that this girl needed help. She's floundering in a business she knows next to nothing about. She's hung up on her ex-boyfriend and she has a difficult time standing up for herself. Who better to help her along (though she does not know it) but her great-aunt Sadie that she never knew?
Lara first encounters the ghost of Sadie at Sadie's dismal funeral. 105 years old and all to show for it were a few relatives that never knew her. Sadie bursts on the scene shouting, "Where's my necklace?". Certainly Lara is hallucinating right? She's the only one who can see Sadie and Sadie certainly becomes a distraction in her life, shaking it up as Lara never thought possible.
I quite enjoyed the charm of the story. It was a book that you can pick up and relax into. I spent most of my quiet Friday night curled up with it and a hot chocolate while my husband was away at a conference and the kids were mercifully asleep. An enjoyable way to spend an evening.

No comments: