Saturday, September 26, 2009

Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner

I discovered Jennifer Weiner's writing sometime in the past year and devoured her books. I was thrilled to get my hands on a copy of Best Friends Forever in a relatively short time after publication.
Best Friends Forever tells the story of Addie Downs and Valerie Adler. They had met when they were 9 becoming close as children but then 'breaking up' in their final year of high school. Valerie returns into Addie's life 15 years later, shaking up Addie's quiet life.
We get to know Addie the best of the two. Addie, who was raised by good parents, but not very well liked by others has suffered by low self-esteem and is a victim of circumstance.
Valerie is quite her opposite. At first you wonder why Addie would give Val a second chance, but as more of their back story is revealed you can see how life made Val the way she is (and how Addie's soft heart can take her in again).
What I enjoy most about Weiner's writing is how she gets it right. The characters in this book are one year off my own age so the memories they tell match the time I grew up in. I can see the 80's and 90's very clearly in this tale. Weiner also really writes feelings well. I can relate to Addie, I can hurt along side her and heal with her too. There is a great combination of humour and reality inside this book.

2 comments:

Trish said...

Sounds like a great book. I am so envious of you and your time to read...how do you do it girl?!!!! Oh well, I am going to keep coming here for synopsis and reviews and then I get pick the best of the best for a read...maybe on Christmas holidays...grin! Thanks for another great review!

Katrina said...

I gave you an award
http://trinsnook.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-am-feelin-lovin.html