Monday, June 29, 2009

4 Blondes by Candace Bushnell

I have to admit that I am intregued by Candace Bushnell. I never did read or watch Sex in the City (I just saw the movie a couple of weeks ago, but that's it). But I know that a lot of her writing gets compared to a number of books that I do like to read. So I brought home a whole gamut-full load of them from the library a few days ago and figured I start with the earliest to the newest. The one they didn't have was Sex in the City, so I've started off with her second offering, 4 Blondes. 4 Blondes is a collection of 4 stories. Each featuring its own blonde female lead. Each woman is different. Each woman struggles with different things (fame, marriage, career...). I'm still not sold on Bushnell from this book. I think her writing is good. She captures the character well, but the stories just left me feeling sad. Where is the humanity in the lives of these women, or is it all just artiface? Or is that the point? The stories are graphically written, so be prepared for that too. I've just started her next offering (featuring characters for the first short story in 4 Blondes) so we'll see how I feel about her in a couple of days.

No comments: