Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Curious Incident of the Dog at Nightime by Mark Haddon

I admit it, I didn't read this book until now.  Yes, I know it has been out for 8 years.  Yes, I know it's been on all sorts of bestseller lists and book club lists and must read lists, but it didn't pique my interest until about a week ago.  That's when I was at a PD session with a bunch of other teachers and on our break we started discussing books worth reading and got on the topic of books written well that centre on exceptional learners.  I mentioned Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen and someone brought up this book.  So, I got it and was totally hooked.  I can't believe I took so long to pick it up.  This is an extraordinary book.  For other like me who haven't touched this one yet, the story is told from the viewpoint of Christopher, a teenager with autism who comes across a neighbour's dog, killed with a garden fork.  Christopher decides to solve the mystery of what happened to Wellington.  Haddon does such an amazing job of getting into the mindset of how someone with autism thinks and acts, it's quite incredible.  Fantastic read!

1 comment:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I loved this book! At the time I hadn't read anything like it and I remember being slightly pleased with myself for reading it, like I was a member of some secret "we read good books" club. :)