Friday, January 27, 2012

Learning by Karen Kingsbury

This is the second of the Bailey Flanigan series by Kingsbury.  It picks up right where Leaving left off.  Bailey is set to go onstage on Broadway.  Cody is working through his first teaching/coaching job at a small town high school.  Like Leaving, this book bounces back and forth between the two stories.  As both characters begin to develop friendships and intense feelings for other people, you have to wonder where Kingsbury is going with all of this.  I have to admit that there were parts of this book that had me cringe and hope that Kingsbury was going to set right.  Kingsbury's books are Christian fiction and sometimes I find a piece that just doesn't sit right with me (even though I am a Christian myself).  I don't know if it's the idea of Christian characters playing into Christian stereotypes that I don't like or what, I can't seem to put my finger on it.  There was one part* in this book that redeemed a lot of that for me and gave me hope that Kingsbury can be a good ambassador for Christ through her books. 
Like Kingsbury's other fiction, I find these books to be fairly quick, enjoyable reads and look forward to the next 2 books in the series.
(*Bailey's attempt to lead a Bible study with her co-workers)

No comments: