Friday, January 4, 2013

The Maze Runner James Dashnel

When I bought Divergent last summer, the book store manager and I got into a conversation about us adults who are loving the YA dystopian fiction that's out right now.  She asked if I had read the Maze Runner, which I hadn't at the time.  She said it was good, more geared towards males (her husband really liked it).  So I put it on my TBR list.  Then on Thanksgiving (Canadian) friends of ours and I got into the same dystopian fiction conversation.  They hadn't read the Divergent books, I hadn't read the Maze Runner, so we traded.  (For the record Blood Red Road is still my favorite of this genre and I look forward to picking up Rebel Heart (Dustlands book 2) with one of the Chapters cards I got for my birthday this weekend).
The maze runner centres on Thomas, a young man with no memory of his past.  He wakes up in a dark elevator and enters into the "Glade".  The Gladers are all male, each one having entered the glade a month apart.  They all have a role in taking care of the Glade.  The Gladers that intregue Thomas the most are the Maze Runners.  The maze is an area adjacent to the Glade.  The gates open up each day, but the maze is always changing.  The maze runners are mapping the maze, looking for a pattern to aid in their escape.  The must get back each day before the gates close as there fatal dangers in the maze that come out at night.
The day after Thomas arrives, another glader arrives, changing the pattern.  This glader is female and they know that she is the last one ever.  After this, life in the Glade will never be the same, it marks the end.
The Maze Runner was a book I kept reading because I had no idea what was going on.  The mystery was so big and so interesting, I couldn't put it down.  It is a well written, enjoyable book.

No comments: