Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith


Unintentionally, I've found myself reading a number of books set in the time of the War of the Roses in England. It was a time period that I knew nothing about and if I'm honest found quite confusing with all of it's Richards, Johns, Edwards, Henrys, Margarets, Annes and Janes. I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out now.
This book was a neat journey in the 'what if' aspect of history. Richard of Glouster is known to have sired 2 illegitmate children, Katherine and John (and likely one more). No one knows who the mother of these children were, it was a well kept secret. Anne Easter Smith in her own research found note of a Katherine Haute who received a regular stipend from the Richard's household. She figures that this woman could have been the mother of his children. It is from there that this story is inspired.
I have to commend Easter Smith on a well written tale. She transitions from common language of the country people, to the more formal language of the courts quite fluently. It is a believable story and quite an enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more of her books and will look for them. This one was published in 2006 and I know there are 2 more she's written set in the same time period since.

1 comment:

AngelaMae said...

Hm... sounds like something I need to check out. I will add it to my Nook wishlist! Thanks!