Saturday, April 25, 2009

My first 'Weekly Geeks' contribution - All about animals


The Weekly Geeks are a new to me discovery of book lovers. They pick different themes related to books and share on their blogs. This is my first go at joining in.

This week you are asked to share books (fiction or nonfiction) and/or movies which center around an animal or animals.
Which are your favorites?
Which touched your heart the most?
Which have found their way onto your wish lists or TBR stacks?
Is there a childhood favorite?
Have you ever named a pet after an animal from a book or movie?


- Charlotte's Web by E.B. White is the first that comes to mind. I absolutely adore this book (and have since I was about 8 years old). A classic for kids and adults alike

- The Life of Pi by Yann Martel is the next book that I think of when I think of animals. It was recommended to me by my brother and is unlike anything else that I'd ever read. I must have read it at least 5 years ago now and I still wonder about the ending
- I very much enjoyed the role of Judge, Campbell Alexander's dog in Jodi Picoult's My Sister's keeper
-I've never named an pet after a book animal, but I have recently discovered Rosemary Well's McDuff books about a West Highland Terrier, coincidentally my childhood dog was a Scottish Terrier named McDuff so the books give me an opening to tell my sons about my McDuff

-Curious George by the Rey's is right up there (now enjoyed by my sons as well as myself)
-my favorite fairy tale Snow White and Rose Red has a very loveable bear character in it
-I loved Jack the little Bulldog in the Little House books
- I think the animal that I love the most in books is Aslan from the Chronicles of Narnia, although he is so much more than an animal (which is what happens when you read fantasy)
I'm sure after I hit 'publish post' I'll think of so many more animal characters that I love, funny how many of these books are children's classics

*added the next day - I knew I'd think of at least one more I wanted on here - Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, another children's book I know, but one I didn't discover until I was teaching

7 comments:

Maree said...

I'd never thought of it, but you're right _ a lot of them are.
Happy Weekly Geeks :)

Confuzzled Shannon said...

Aslan is a good one.

Anonymous said...

I see the Life of Pi mentioned everywhere. I really should go and have a look. Our kids also love Curious George, he is just too cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a nice Sunday!

Frances said...

Welcome to Weekly Geeks! Aslan is a great example as is Charlotte's Web of course. Always makes the little people (and me) cry. Some pig.

Margot said...

I'm so glad someone chose Curious George. He's a favorite in our family. Charlotte's Web is one of my favorites from way back. Glad you joined the Geeks.

*Margot @ Joyfully Retired

pussreboots said...

I know what you mean. I thought of a couple more books after I published too. Happy WG.

Anonymous said...

Cool post, Charlotte's Web is one of my daughter's all time favourite books we read it together when she was about 7, it is a remarkable children's book. I always think of Watership Down when I think of animal books. How about Black Beauty originally written for adults. We currently have cats called Aslan and Hobbit, neither of them are very like their namesakes.